Melinda’s Birria Tacodilla (Taco Quesadilla)
Tender and spicy braised beef short rib, melted cheese along the edges, and a side of savory consommé - Eat, dip, and repeat.Print Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
- Instapot or Dutch Oven
- 1 pound short rib
- 1 pound beef chuck or roast cut into 2” pieces
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp ground black pepper
- ½ yellow onion cut in 1” cubes
- 6 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup Melinda’s Chipotle Sauce
- ½ cup Melinda’s Fired Roasted Garlic & Habanero Sauce
- ½ cup Melinda’s Green Sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 each Knorr Chicken Bouillon cubes
- 1 12oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 12 corn tortillas
- ¼ cup white onion diced
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- Pre-heat Instapot to high, sauté mode or in a Dutch Oven on med-high on the stovetop.
- Season short rib and beef roast with salt and pepper and sear all sides in Instapot or Dutch Oven, 1.5 - 2 minutes per side. Sear in batches until all meat is browned, remove from pot, and set aside on a plate.
- While meat is browning. Add Melinda’s Green Sauce, Melinda’s Chipotle Sauce, Melinda’s Fire Roasted Garlic & Habanero Sauce, chicken bouillon cubes, roughly chopped yellow onion, garlic, canned whole tomatoes, and water into a blender. Purée until it becomes smooth.
- Add Melinda’s chili purée to pot and allow to heat up for 3 minutes. Scrape and stir in all the delicious bits from the seared beef.
- Add the beef back into the pot.
- Place the lid on the Instapot and update the setting to pressure cook at high temperature for 90 minutes or if using a Dutch oven, place in the oven at 350 degrees for 2 - 2.5 hours.
- Once meat is done cooking, release the pressure from the Instapot, and remove the lid.
- Place meat into a bowl, remove the bones from the short rib, and shred the beef.
- Skim about 1 cup of fat off the top of your braising
- Add 1 cup of the braising liquid to the shredded beef.
- Add 2 cups of water into the pot and stir well. Season with salt and pepper, turn heat to low or sauté mode. This will be used to dip tortilla for searing and to dip birria tacodilla.
- Heat cast iron skillet or flat top skillet to medium heat.
- Dip corn tortilla in birria sauce, place on skillet for 10-15 seconds. Flip and add a thin layer of cheese on top with extra cheese along the edges. Cook until cheese begins to melt and oozes along the sides. Add the 1/4 cup of shredded beef, a tablespoon of diced white onion, sprinkle of chopped cilantro, and fold over.
- Drizzle the taco with Birria sauce, sear for another 10 seconds on each side.
- Serve warm with a side of hot birria consommé and lime wedge.
- Eat, dip, and repeat.