Melinda’s Cherry Chocolate Chipotle Ice Cream By Chef Avner Samuel
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 quart half & half
- 2 cups sugar
- 16 egg yolks
- 8 oz chocolate chips
- Melinda’s Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- 14 oz pitted cherries (cut in half)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- In a medium size pot, add the heavy cream and half and half and heat until warm.
- Put egg yolks in a mixing bowl, add the sugar and mix well.
- Slowly add the warm liquid from the pot into the mixing bowl. Mix very well. ( This is called “tempering” the eggs.)
- Add this mix back into the pot and place over medium heat. Use a wooden spoon and move the spoon in the motion of a number 8 until the mix is glazing the back of the spoon. Remove from the heat immediately. Add 8 oz of the chocolate, keep mixing until melted. Add the Melinda’s Chipotle Sauce until you reach your preferred heat level.
- Strain the mix using a very fine strainer and chill until cold.
- Add the mix into the ice cream machine for 25 minutes. Just before ready, add the candied cherries. Remove the mixture and place in a bowl and chill in freezer for 1 hour.
Recipes for Cherries
- Mix 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil to make simple syrup. Remove from heat.
- Place cherries in mixing bowl and add the simple syrup. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Drain the simple syrup from the cherries and add 1 oz of Melinda’s Chipotle Pepper Sauce and mix well.
- Place cherries on a silicone baking mat and spread out cherries so that they are not touching.
- Place silicone sheet on a sheet pan and place in a preheated oven and bake at 225 degrees for 2 hours and fifteen minutes. Remove when done and let cool.