Chef Fig’s Cheesy Chipotle Bacon Jam Burger
- 2 lbs ground chuck beef (you can use brisket, turkey or lamb) makes 8 patties
- 8 Brioche Buns for single burgers or 4 for double burger
- 8 slices American Cheese
- 2 tbsp soft unsalted butter
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
Bacon Chipotle Jam
- 5 yellow onions sliced
- 6 strips bacon
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar or cane sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup or more Melinda’s Chipotle Ketchup
- ¼ cup water
Make the Bacon Chipotle Jam:
- Fry bacon in a large saute or cast iron skillet (10-12 inch), remove bacon. Put sliced onions in pan with bacon fat on medium heat,add salt, cook, stirring occasionally, allowing onions to caramelize. This is a slow and important step. You do not want to burn the onions. (15-20 mins)
- When onions start to get jammy, add the water to loosen. Add the garlic. Keep cooking down until garlic browns slightly and becomes fragrant, add the sugar, cook another minute. Add the Chipotle Ketchup, stir in well and cook another minute to two. Remove from pan and store in a jar. It’s good for a few weeks in the fridge and can be used on burgers, hot dogs, and of course, in the best baked beans ever.
For the burgers:
- This is a smash burger method.
- Divide your ground meat into 8 balls, smash them flat on parchment paper or smash them in the pan or flat top (I prefer to smash them on the paper).
- Once the patties are cooking, salt them. For med-cook 2 mins on the first side, flip, salt the other side. This will cook for another 2 minutes, place cheese slices on the patties when there is a minute left so the cheese can melt. For well-done burgers cook 3 mins per side, if you must.
- Place on a bun, top with the bacon chipotle jam, put the top on and eat it while it’s hot!